This post is brought to you by Morinaga Nutritional Foods, Inc., maker of Mori-Nu® Silken Tofu and The Motherhood. All opinions are my own.
These amazingly delicious Spicy Tofu Tacos are an easy meatless solution that are packed with flavor and protein!
I know many of you guys love trying out meatless recipes every now and then and are opting for more plant-based or vegetarian recipes in your diet.
We love making vegetarian meals at our home and to be honest, we try to have at least 2-3 vegetarian meals in a week. But sometimes getting the right amount of protein in veggie dishes can be a bit confusing and overwhelming. Tofu is a great alternative as it not only tastes great but is an excellent way to get plenty of protein in your diet without feeling too heavy.
And if you thought that Tofu is only meant for Asian-inspired dishes, think again. It is such a versatile product and you can use it in a variety of dishes including soups, salads, breakfast wraps and even desserts! Yes, you heard me right!
I recently tried out these Tofu Tacos and fell in love with it! They were so delicious and easy to make. If you have never tried using Tofu as a filling for your tacos, you should totally give it a try. I bet you’ll love it too!
For this recipe, I have used Mori-Nu Silken Tofu by Morinaga Nutritional Foods, Inc. which has an unmatched smoothness, creaminess, and an excellent taste. It is one of the highest-qualities of silken tofu on the market. Apart from being an excellent source of protein, Mori-Nu Tofu is kosher, non-GMO, organic as well as gluten-free.
Mori-Nu Silken Tofu comes in various varieties and the one I used in this recipe was the Organic Nigari, which is a firm type of tofu.
I also love when companies take extra care when it comes to packaging which is another reason why I’m loving Mori-Nu Silken Tofu so much. Their products come in a unique aseptic package that protects fresh tofu from light and bacteria, allowing for a long shelf life without the need for refrigeration or use of preservatives. The packaging locks out light, oxygen, and micro-organisms and protects it from spoilage.
I think the best way to have tofu is by cutting it into small pieces and pan-frying which makes it a little crispy.
Since the tofu I used was firm, I cut it into small bite sized pieces. But you can certainly crumble it and then cook it for a few minutes, especially if you are using soft tofu.
Once your tofu is cooked, assemble your taco station. You can either use soft flour tortillas or hard tacos shells like I have used to make it extra crunchy.
Fill the taco shells with your favorite fillings like purple cabbage, pico de gallo, guacamole, grated cheese, and cilantro and of course your delicious Mori-Nu Silken Tofu.
Add sour cream on top if desired and enjoy! See how easy it was?
- Firm/ Extra Firm Tofu - 11 oz. (I used 1 packet of Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Organic Nigari)
- Purple cabbage - 2 cups thinly sliced
- Jalapeno - 1 cut into slices
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese - 1/2 cup
- Chopped Cilantro - 1/4 cup
- Paprika - 2 tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tbsp
- Chili Powder - 1 tsp
- Chopped Tomato - 1
- Lime - 1
- Avocado - 1
- Chopped Onion - 1/2 cup
- Finely chopped garlic - 2 cloves
- Salt as per taste
- Oil - for pan-frying tofu
- Cut Tofu in approx 1/2 inch pieces. Sprinkle them with paprika, cumin, chili powder and salt.
- Heat a little bit of oil in a non stick pan and fry the tofu for 2-3 minutes on each side or till they become golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare your Pico de gallo by mixing chopped tomatoes, ¼ cup chopped onions, juice of half a lime, cilantro and salt and keep it aside.
- Prepare Guacamole by mashing a ripe avocado and add ¼ cup chopped onion, finely chopped garlic, juice of half a lime, chopped jalapeno and salt and mix it properly.
- Once the tofu is fully cooked, start preparing your tacos. Fill your taco shells with some thinly sliced purple cabbage, pico de gallo, 3-4 tofu pieces, guacamole and jalapeno slices for extra heat (completely optional) in your taco shells. Add shredded cheese, cilantro and sour cream on top if desired.
Instead of taco shells, you can use flour tortillas in this recipe as well.
If you are looking for a vegan version of this recipe, you can skip the cheese and sour cream.
Our Tofu Tacos were gone within minutes and it’s definitely become our new favorite. I hope you too give this delicious recipe a try!
Also, don’t forget to try out Mori-Nu Silken Tofu to experience a unique and fresh taste like never before. Click here to purchase Mori-Nu Silken Tofu online or go to the store locator to find your nearest Silken Tofu retailer. And if you’d like to know more about Mori-Nu Silken tofu, click here to read more information about them.