In my recent attempt to eat ‘somewhat healthy’, I have been trying to incorporate more veggies in our diet.
Now, although I like to call myself a ‘food lover’, I was a very picky eater as a kid and this trait has since then somewhat continued in my adult life. There are some vegetables that I just cannot shove down my throat – broccoli being on top of that list with cauliflower coming to a close second. 😣
Now although I’ mot a fan of broccoli, it has tons of health benefits – some of which will really amaze you!
If you are keen on learning more, you should check out these 43 Science-Backed Healthy Benefits of Broccoli. I’m pretty sure that after reading it, you’ll start eating this veggie even more.
So the other day as I was browsing through Pinterest, I came across a recipe but wasn’t convinced I will like it… I mean if I know something has broccoli in it, I already have a big frown on my face.
Nonetheless, I decided to give it a try and was pleasantly surprised by the results! It was so easy plus it doesn’t scream ‘broccoli’ to me. 😉 Warm, cheesy and delicious… a clear winner I say!
All you have to do is steam some broccoli, then add in cheese and a little seasoning, form them into bite-size patties and let the oven do the baking! How easy is that, right?
- 1. Broccoli florets - 3 cups
- 2. Shredded Cheddar Cheese - 1 cup
- 3. Egg - 1
- 4. Bread Crumbs - 1 1/4 cup
- 5. Paprika - 1 tsp
- 6. Garlic Powder - 1 tsp
- 7. Salt & Pepper - as per taste
- Pre-heat oven at 375 F. Steam the broccoli just until it is tender.
- Put the steamed broccoli in a medium sized bowl and lightly mash it up with a fork or cut it into small pieces with a knife. Add 1 cup bread crumbs, cheese, egg (slightly beaten) and all the seasonings. Mix till they are combined well.
- Form small balls or patties with your hand. Take the remaining bread crumbs and lightly coat the patties with them. Place it on a greased baking tray or cover it with parchment paper.
- Bake for 25 min. (Flip them after 10 minutes.) Your broccoli bites are done! Serve warm with ranch or ketchup. (You can even shallow fry them in a pan if you want but baking makes it all the more healthy)
You can use frozen, thawed broccoli too but I prefer using fresh broccoli and steaming it. Shredded Parmesan Cheese can be used instead of Cheddar Cheese and you can slightly reduce or increase the quantity of cheese as per your taste.
If you share a similar dislike towards this veggie the way I do, you gotta give this a try – you won’t really know it has broccoli in it 😋 And if you like broccoli, well then.. what are you waiting for? It’s a great way to sneak in this protein + fibre filled veggie in your diet, especially for kids who are fussy eaters.
Don’t forget to check out the 43 amazing Science-Backed Health Benefits of Broccoli to learn more about this unique veggie.
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to like us on our Facebook page.