Keema is an absolute favorite in my home. It is a flavorful Indian dish made from ground lamb/ beef/ goat meat relished with naan or bread.
It is a pretty quick recipe which is sure to make your tastebuds explode. Do give it a try if you haven’t already! Oh yeah, and don’t get overwhelmed by the long list of ingredients because trust me, it’s a really simple dish.
- Ground Lamb/Beef/ Goat meat – 1.5 lb.
- Onion – 2
- Tomatoes – 1
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Bay leaves – 2 to 3
- Peppercorn – 3 to 4
- Ginger Garlic paste/ Minced Ginger & Garlic – 1 tbsp
- Red Chilli powder – 2 tbsp (can be reduced as per liking)
- Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder (optional) – 1 tsp
- Lime juice
- Salt as per taste
- Chop the onions, tomatoes and cilantro.
- Take some oil in a large skillet and add cumin seeds, bay leaves and peppercorn to hot oil. When the cumin seeds start sizzling, add the chopped onion. Saute the onions until they turn golden brown and then add ginger garlic paste. Let it cook for another minute or so.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute for 2 more minutes. Then you are ready to add the dry spices – chilli, coriander and cumin powder. Add salt as per taste. Note that you can add or reduce the chilli powder as per your liking.
- After all the spices are combined, add the ground meat. I used ground lamb meat as it is a favorite in our home. Mix properly. Keep the flame on medium to high heat and let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Add a pinch of garam masala (optional) for added flavor and let it simmer for a minute.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and lime juice. Serve it hot with butter naan or bread and there you go – dinner is served!!
P.S. Many people also like adding peas or potatoes in this recipe.
Thank you for visiting. Have a good day!!